By Paula Wells, WomanACT Social Media Coordinator
For the sixth year in a row, WomanACT had the pleasure of hosting the 2017 Supporting Survivors by Supporting Staff (SSxSS), a 2-day training conference part of the End Violence Against Women (VAW) Week in Toronto. On March 6th & 7th, front-line workers in the VAW sector had the opportunity to participate in panel discussions, speaker presentations and interactive training workshops. This year, training consisted of an amazing and world-renowned keynote speaker, Dr. Gabor Maté, who spoke about how to care for others while caring for ourselves. Read all about Dr. Maté’s keynote speech here.
Attendees were asked to complete evaluations of the conference throughout the week in order to gauge their opinions on speakers, workshops, content, etc. A post-conference evaluation was also sent out after the conference via Survey Monkey.
"Very well organized; Seamless!"
"Seems to get better every year."
The post-conference evaluation satisfaction rates were as follows:
When asked “do you plan on attending the conference again next year”, 92% of attendees responded ‘yes’. The other 8% were not sure.
"I am definitely looking forward to attending this fantastic event. It was more than training for me - it was an opportunity for me to become re-energized, re-educated, and re-motivated. In addition, it helped me to draw a bigger picture of my vision for my career. "
We wanted to know: What did you like most about the 2-day training?
"Positive energy and to be able to talk about the best practices and remember why we’re doing the work we’re doing."
"Meeting and connecting with people from different organizations."
"Bringing diverse staff from the VAW sector together to have an opportunity for training. The guest speaker was very impactful and there was a variety of workshops."
"I liked the format of having a panel for the first half of the day and workshops during the second half. By the time we got to the workshops, the panelists had gotten us thinking and inspired, and we still had the energy to participate in a workshop."
"Amazing time management, brilliant guest speaker (Dr. Maté), and overall organization was fantastic."
Overall, the SSxSS 2017 was a huge success and we are extremely excited for the 2018 training conference. Thank you to all attendees for participating in and providing your opinions on such an amazing week. We hope to see you in 2018!
We look forward to sharing news about the 2018 End VAW Week in Toronto in the upcoming months!
WomanACT Newsletter Archives